A Nourishing Herbal Infusion in 5 Steps
Click here for our pocket-sized Guide to Making Nourishing Herbal Infusions!
Sign up for our DIY Infusion class here
Benefits of Nourishing Herbal Infusions
Nourishing Herbal Infusions offer copious amounts of vitamins and minerals in a highly absorbable form. Infusions are simple and affordable to prepare and offer additional benefit as part of a daily self care ritual.
The Difference Between Infusions and Tea
Tea is usually made with a teaspoon of herbs, steeped in a cup of water for 3-5 minutes. Infusions are made with an ounce of an herb, covered and steeped in a quart of boiled water for 4-8 hours. It takes at least 4 hours to extract the minerals from a plant with water. A cup of Nettle tea contains approximately 3 mg of calcium; a cup of Nettle Infusion contains around 300 mg of calcium.
1. While boiling enough water to fill a QUART jar, (with a lid) measure ONE OUNCE of dried herb, TWO OUNCES of roots (Use a scale for accuracy.) Add to jar.
Note: 1oz often equals 1 cup, but as you can see with a fluffier plant like Red Clover (Trifolium pratense), you need more than that. The scale helps.
2. Pour boiled water to fill jar. (Stir with a metal utensil to absorb heat.)
3. Tighten lid. Allow to steep at least 4-8 HOURS.
4. Strain and discard plant material. (Perfect for compost!)
Good eye if you noticed this isn’t the Red Clover we started with, I made three infusions the same day for a presentation. In this photo and the next, you’re looking at Oatstraw (Avena sativa)
5. Refrigerate and drink within 2 - 3 days. Add remaining wet herb to the ground outside, compost if possible.
Double Brew method: Some herbs require a second infusion. Follow the above directions, and instead of squeezing the herb, pour through the mesh strainer. Drink right away or refrigerate. Put the wet herb into a pot with a lid, add 2 cups of cold water. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, and infuse for 4 hours. Squeeze over mesh strainer. Pour into a separate jar or add to the first brew. Drink within 2-3 days.